Validus Holdings Ltd. is a publicly traded (NYSE: VR) Bermuda-headquartered reinsurance and insurance company with a market cap of $3.5bn USD and over 1400 employees worldwide. Since inception, Validus Group has focused on succeeding in the global reinsurance market by offering a full spectrum of short-tail reinsurance solutions - from catastrophe and property, to marine and specialty. We currently have offices in Bermuda, Europe, Asia, and Latin America.
Formed in 2008, AlphaCat is an asset manager that helps investors take full advantage of Insurance Linked Securities.
Leveraging on the underwriting and investment expertise within the Validus Group, we invest in private reinsurance transactions, as well as catastrophe bonds, a common type of Insurance Linked Securities issued by insurance and reinsurance companies. We help investors take full advantage of this uncorrelated asset class, accessing the market via AlphaCat Reinsurance Ltd., a Bermuda-based provider of fully collateralized property catastrophe reinsurance retrocession capacity.
Assist in research on the reinsurance/Insurance-Linked Securities (ILS) markets, compiling internal and external portfolio reports and developing analytical tools.
- Coordinating catastrophe risk modeling of individual reinsurance and ILS transactions with Validus Research personnel
- Developing software tools to analyze potential investments and portfolio holdings
- Preparing portfolio exhibits for monthly investor newsletters and investor marketing materials
- Completion of bespoke analyses of investment portfolios or the reinsurance market
- Other duties as required
Required skills and experience:
- Undergraduate and/or graduate degree in math/statistics/actuarial/other quantitative discipline
- Programming experience with Python or R (or other technical computing language) and an interest in developing software development skills
- Working knowledge of relational databases and SQL
- Knowledge of collateralized reinsurance and ILS market preferred
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite of applications
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; i.e., a thorough command of the English language including excellent spelling, grammar and punctuation
- The ability to deal effectively and courteously with clients and colleagues, and to exercise discretion and confidentiality in all matters
- Compensation will be highly competitive based on experience, qualifications, inclusive of annual performance bonus, pension, and group insurance
- Full-time, permanent salaried position located in Waterloo, Ontario, subject to a probationary period
- Standard office hours are Monday – Friday, 9:00 – 5:00, with work outside of standard office hours as dictated by business needs
- Working environment – convenient UpTown Waterloo location in Bauer Buildings (along bus routes and near new light rail – currently under construction), open office with high ceiling, colourful walls, exposed brick and large windows
We thank all applicants for their interest in this role; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Validus is an inclusive and equal opportunity employer and we encourage applications from all qualified candidates and will accommodate applicants' needs under the respective provincial human rights codes throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please advise Human Resources to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated throughout this process. Information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.