Validus Research - Ontario
Validus Research Inc., based in Waterloo, Ontario, is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Validus Holdings, Ltd. Validus Holdings Ltd. is a publicly traded (NYSE: VR) Bermuda-headquartered reinsurance and insurance company with a market cap of $3.5bn USD and over 600 employees worldwide. We have an immediate opening for a full-time Catastrophe Risk Analyst to join our dynamic Catastrophe Modeling team.
As a Catastrophe Risk Analyst at Validus Research, you will work to develop innovative solutions to quantify catastrophe risk for our reinsurance portfolio. We receive large sets of property exposure data from reinsurance intermediaries which get interrogated and analyzed using sophisticated probabilistic catastrophe models (licensed from companies such as AIR Worldwide and Risk Management Solutions) as well as through in-house tools. Our aim is to proactively deliver critical information for portfolio risk selection, working with our underwriters located in Bermuda, London, Miami, Zurich, and Singapore. Validus Research needs people to think critically about the submitted property exposure, the quality of the exposure, and the modeled output, calling attention to items of interest to our underwriters.
A Catastrophe Risk Analyst should have a quantitative and/or business background, with a passion for thoughtful analysis of property catastrophe data. We're looking for a person who can break down problems logically and ask the right questions to arrive at sound conclusions from the data provided. Often, in addition to analyzing reinsurance treaty submissions, you will work on projects (client or management presentations, building models, maintaining our portfolio, specializing in various market segments, etc.), either independently or with other team members. Although preferred, catastrophe modeling or reinsurance experience is not required. Necessary training and education will be provided for the use of catastrophe models and for the principles of reinsurance.
- Analyze, interpret, and determine the quality and contents of property exposure data for use within third-party catastrophe models (AIR & RMS), where output is assessed Validus proprietary pricing software
- Communicate relevant information to underwriters and senior managers, such as analysis results, exposure and loss analytics, key drivers of risk, and marginal impact to the Validus portfolio
- Support managements with reports and presentations related to catastrophe modeling data
- Simulate potential losses to the Validus portfolio from live or recent catastrophic events such as hurricanes and earthquakes
- Research and analyze business conditions in worldwide markets to identify trends and growth opportunities
- Come up with new ideas to enhance our value to the organization
|Mandatory Qualifications: General||
We thank all applicants for their interest in this role; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Validus is an inclusive and equal opportunity employer and we encourage applications from all qualified candidates and will accommodate applicants' needs under the respective provincial human rights codes throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please advise Human Resources to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated throughout this process. Information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.