Validus Group: Past, present and future
Validus Holdings, Ltd. was incorporated under the laws of Bermuda on October 19, 2005. Our initial investor, which we refer to as our founding investor, is Aquiline Capital Partners LLC, a private equity firm dedicated to investing in financial services companies. Other sponsoring investors included private equity funds managed by Goldman Sachs Capital Partners, Vestar Capital Partners, New Mountain Capital and Merrill Lynch Global Private Equity. Hereinafter, the "Company", "us" or "we" are used to describe any or all of Validus Holdings, Ltd. and its subsidiary companies. The Company conducts its operations worldwide through four operating segments which have been determined under U.S. GAAP segment reporting: Validus Reinsurance, Ltd. (“Validus Re”), Talbot Holdings Ltd. (“Talbot”), Western World Insurance Group, Inc. (“Western World”) and AlphaCat Managers, Ltd. (“AlphaCat”). Validus Re is a Bermuda based reinsurer focused on short tail lines of reinsurance. Talbot is the Bermuda parent of the specialty insurance group primarily operating within the Lloyd's insurance market through Syndicate 1183. Western World is a U.S. specialty lines insurance company focused on excess and surplus lines. AlphaCat is a Bermuda based investment adviser managing capital for third parties and the Group in insurance linked securities and other property catastrophe reinsurance investments.
We seek to establish ourselves as a leader in the global insurance and reinsurance markets. Our principal operating objective is to use our capital efficiently by underwriting primarily short-tail insurance and reinsurance contracts with superior risk and return characteristics. Our primary underwriting objective is to construct a portfolio of short-tail insurance and reinsurance contracts that maximizes our return on equity subject to prudent risk constraints on the amount of capital we expose to any single event. We manage our risks through a variety of means, including contract terms, portfolio selection, diversification criteria, including geographic diversification criteria, and proprietary and commercially available third-party vendor catastrophe models.
Since our formation in 2005, we have been able to achieve substantial success in the development of our business. Selected examples of our accomplishments are as follows:
- Raising approximately $1.0 billion of initial equity capital in December 2005 and underwriting $217.4 million in gross premiums written for the January 2006 renewal season;
- Building a risk analytics staff comprised of over 40 experts, many of whom have PhDs and Masters degrees in related fields;
- Developing Validus Capital Allocation and Pricing System (“VCAPS”), a proprietary computer-based system for modeling, pricing, allocating capital and analyzing catastrophe-exposed risks;
- Acquiring all of the outstanding shares of Talbot Holdings Ltd. on July 2, 2007;
- Completing an initial public offering (“IPO”) on July 30, 2007;
- Acquiring all of the outstanding shares of IPC Holdings Ltd. (“IPC”) on September 4, 2009;
- Raising $135.0 million of third party initial capital for AlphaCat Re 2011, Ltd. (“AlphaCat Re 2011”) on May 25, 2011 and a further $60.0 million of additional third party capital on December 23, 2011;
- Raising $450.0 million of third party capital for PaCRe, Ltd. ("PaCRe") a Class 4 Bermuda reinsurer formed for the purpose of writing high excess property catastrophe reinsurance, on April 2, 2012 and a further $58.5 million on May 1, 2013;
- Raising $43.5 million of third party capital for AlphaCat Re 2012, Ltd. (“AlphaCat Re 2012”) on May 29, 2012;
- Acquiring all of the outstanding shares of Flagstone Reinsurance Holdings, S.A. ("Flagstone") on November 30, 2012;
- Raising $185.0 million of third party capital for AlphaCat 2013, Ltd. ("AlphaCat 2013") on December 17, 2012;
- Raising $292.2 million of third party subscriptions for AlphaCat Insurance Linked Securities ("ILS") funds;
- Raising $138.0 million of third party capital for AlphaCat 2014, Ltd. ("AlphaCat 2014") on December 20, 2013;
- Delivering a 12.7% compounded annual growth in book value per diluted common share plus accumulated dividends from formation to December 31, 2013;
- Increasing the annual dividend by 20% from $1.00 to $1.20 per common share and per common share equivalent and declaring a $2.00 special dividend per common share and per common share equivalent on February 6, 2013; and
- Repurchasing approximately 59.6 million common shares for an aggregate purchase price of $1,821.1 million and paying an aggregate amount of $830.3 million in dividends from formation to February 14, 2014.
- Acquiring all of the outstanding shares of Western World Insurance Group on October 2, 2014.